Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bad Mom Moment #2...

Well, I spoke too soon.  Shortly after I posted on Sunday, both kids woke up with 102 fevers.  Hannah only wanted to be held, even after the Motrin and Tylenol kicked in, so I knew she really felt bad.  Brady was a trooper, however, there was one point where I was curled up in the recliner with both of them in my lap.  Hannah had started to have a little bit of a diaper rash before we went to church on Sunday, but I didn't think anything of it, b/c it doesn't take much for her to get a little red.  Just slapped some Corona on there and went to church and made sure the girls in the nursery put some on her when they changed her.  It didn't look too red when we got home from church, but by the time she woke up with fever it was flaming red.  So I went to option 2 and did Lantiseptic.  That didn't help, so I tried every other kind of diaper rash ointment I have (which is about 6 other kinds) and nothing was helping.  Finally, I just left her laying on a towel in the living room floor without a diaper.  That didn't even help.  By the time we went to bed Sunday night it was all but bleeding, and by the time we got up Monday morning it was bleeding.  I had to get up several times in the night to change her, b/c everytime she was wet or dirty, she would wake up just screaming bloody murder.  I felt so bad for her.  So Monday morning when we got up, I did what any good mom would do, and I texted some of my fellow mom friends who happen to also be nurses, and asked for their suggestions.  We finally decided that I had exhausted all options and should call the doctor so I did...and after listening to the description of the rash and then her fevers, etc. she said she wanted to see Hannah.  Can I just tell you how incompetent I felt as a mom @ that point??  For pete's sake, I am a nurse and a PICU nurse @ that...there is no reason on earth that my child should have a diaper rash like that!!!  Long story short, took her to the pediatrician and she tested positive for strep.  Never realized that strep could give you that bad of a diaper rash, but apparently it can, so now we are on antibiotics, and having to occasionally give her prescription pain medicine so that she can sleep some.  Praying that she will at least sleep a little better tonight than she did last night.  No sleep @ night makes her a bear!!!  She can skip naps, but sister needs a full 12 hours @ night. 

1 comments:

Ashley said...

yes they are! I actually found them at the thrift store for $20 so i thought they were totally worth it. i love them, but i also love my clogs ;) most of the girls at work like them, some have said they leather can be a little tight ( i didn't have this problem but mine are also a size larger)

ohhh i didn't realize that strep could do that either. trey had occasional rashes, but good night aubrey has one (a bad one too) almost every other week!!!